StudyStream is the world’s largest online virtual community, a haven for students from across the globe to come together and study. Our focus rooms increase productivity and raise accountability and the StudyStream platform has formed many friendships that have gone beyond the virtual world. If you want to be part of this evolving community, it’s important to know how to stay safe. Privacy is an important matter when it comes to connecting with strangers online. This is a how-to guide, created by the StudyStream team that will guide you through the best ways to stay safe and enjoy all the wonderful features that StudyStream has to offer.
Here are some tips and advice you can follow:
- Only share information on StudyStream that you are willing to share publicly, please don’t share any sensitive information about yourself, this includes your full name, your birth date, address, details about your family, or your location
- If you receive a message from someone and it makes you feel uncomfortable, don’t reply to it, simply report it and let a moderator know about it immediately
- If you want to meet up with someone you have met online through StudyStream, never go alone, let someone close to you know where you are going and who you are meeting, organize group meetups instead of individual meetings
- If you receive a message from someone who claims to be an admin and they make threats or make you feel uncomfortable in any way, reach out to a staff member (they are identifiable by the star icons next to their name), report the user straight away
- When you are taking a break and not studying in the zoom rooms, remember to turn off your camera
- Never give your phone number to someone you meet on StudyStream, as this becomes harder for the StudyStream admin team to control it when it isn’t on the platform
- Be careful with who you add on other platforms, if you meet someone on StudyStream, don’t feel like you must follow them on Instagram or Facebook
- Don’t use your camera if you don’t want to, no one should be forced to turn their video on when entering the focus rooms
StudyStream understands the importance of privacy and online safety. The developers are consistently working on ways to improve the platform and help the users feel safe and happy being part of the StudyStream community. If there is anything you wish to see implemented on the platform to help users, don’t hesitate to reach out to a member of the StudyStream team.